Thread: Why get a dog?
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
bjh
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Default Why get a dog?

The other day I was at a Goodwill store and I found an interesting dog book on Dachshunds that was written it 1955. There was a interesting article titled 'Why Get a Dog? written by a Capt. Will Judy and I found it very touching so I just wanted to share it with all of you. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.

WHY GET A DOG?

THAT you may not forget how to play as exemplified by the dog, who carries his puppy heart on thru to the graying muzzle.....

THAT you may have for your home and possessions an alert burglar alarm and a policeman who never sleeps.....

THAT you may be reminded daily and with resultant humility that you and the animal kingdom are of one and the same group in the scheme of creation.....

THAT you may live above petty selfishness thru obligating yourself for the welfare of one who depends implicitly upon you and never complains if you are derelict.....

THAT you may forget the worries of the day and the strain of its routine as arriving home, you are greeted with unfeigned delight by one whose heart is filled only with thot of you and whose existence, he believes, cannot go on apart from yours.....

THAT you may find surcease from being bored thru observing the dog's freshness in doing the customary little things, his curiosity over the flutter of a leaf to the ground, and his discovery of new delights along old paths.....

THAT your children, growing up with a dog, may see a daily living sermon on kindness, on obligation to others and the necessity for obedience, and may later translate these qualities into good citizenship.....

THAT you may learn from your servant the dog to live with faith in fellowmen, freedom from sullenness, and with an unselfishness which may not be logical but is divinely refreshing.....

THAT by your dog's contagious example, you may live each day to its fullness, always ready for new adventure, and find zest in common and uncommon things alike.....

GET A DOG, OWN A DOG, AND BE OWNED BY A DOG

Written by Capt. Will Judy

About Will Judy: I found this about him on the internet, he use to own Dog World magazine:

Quote:
Abstract: Dog Fancier Will Judy was born in rural Somerset County in 1891. Beginning a life-long attachment to Juniata College, he earned his bachelor's degree there in 1911. Following heroic service in World War I, Captain Will Judy returned to the States and took up the practice of law. He became a book publisher in 1921 and a magazine publisher in 1923 when he bought Dog World. He continued his highly-esteemed involvement with the world of show dogs and obedience training for the rest of his life, retiring in 1960. Will Judy died in Chicago in 1973.
bjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!