View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 09:47 AM   #8
jenn1381
YT Addict

Citronella collar.. hmmm.. that sounds interesting! I will have to look and see if I can find one here. It definitely sounds like it might work, as the water in the face does, although he gets smart and runs away while barking so I can't reach him. lol.

I have had my dad give Ollie treats a lot, and he will sometimes take them from his hand, but is very scared to - I have not tried chicken, and that is a great idea, as I think it would be harder to resist! Going to try that asap, as we are travelling next month with Ollie and all staying in a hotel room together... if Oliver is still scared of my dad it could be a really bad trip!

Thanks for the advice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalina82 View Post
Prong collars are a big no no with tiny dogs. You can seriously hurt them, especially their tracheas.

To the OP:
I would suggest a citronella collar. I used it on my poodle when she was barking. Worked like a charm. I had used the water and pennies in a can previously with her and it didn't work. The citronella collar sprays the scent in front of their face every time they bark. They can only associate the spray with their barking because the collar or its effect is in no way associated with you or big scary men.

Also you can try having a nice quiet afternoon with one of the loud men. Have them come over loaded with chicken. Let them in without saying anything and just sit on the floor in the living room. pull out the chicken and toss a piece to Oliver so he gets the idea that really good treats come from him. Then tell him to avert his eyes and pay no attention to Oliver. At this point i'm sure Oliver is still going to be barking from the moment your dad or grandpa walks in the house. that's ok. After the first piece of chicken he has to work it out on his own that he needs to be quiet to have a piece of chicken tossed to him. Toss the chicken only at first. Don't expect him to walk up and take it from their hands. And be sure he tosses the chicken at the exact moment that oliver stops barking. after a few rounds of this Oliver might beging to pick up on the fact that if he's quiet he gets a piece of chicken tossed to him. Then your dad/grandpa can start tossing the chicken closer and closer to themselves until Oliver is eventually taking it directly from their hands and is still quiet.

This may take a few tries on different dads for it to work and BOTH men are going to have to do it seperately. The key is to make themselves as small and quiet as possible, which is why the no talking rule is in effect during these training sessions and they need to be sitting on the floor so they are on his level, laying on the floor on their bellies would be even better.

Good luck
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!