View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009, 04:45 AM   #1
DanielleK
Yorkie Yakker

Default Potty training expectations?

Can anyone give me a rough estimate of what you can expect, potty training-wise, at what age? (ie, what can you reasonably expect of a two month old pup and then when you can start expecting more, etc.?)

Brody is two months old and we're pee pad training him. We've got his crate (with his bed, food, and water) inside an x-pen lined with papers and a pee pad. I keep a potty log and know roughly when he's going to have to go. I crate him for a short time (maybe an hour or so) then let him out into the pen to see if he has to go. If he goes, he gets to come out and play for a while. Then we repeat the process. (Since he does not pee as often as every hour, though, sometimes I will just hold him for a bit of loving time so he's out of the crate and just not let his feet touch the floor until he's back in the pen.) At night we leave his crate door open so he can use the pen.

Ideally we'd like to have him exclusively using the pee pads. (Or we're considering the Rascal with the indoor grass.) Right now he seems to just go wherever he pleases, so the success has been mostly in keeping him in his pen until he goes and I know he's empty and *then* letting him out to play for a while. But he's also holding it in the late morning until we take him outside to play and going both #1 and #2 in my yard. I would prefer for him to a) not be confused as to where to go (we'd like him trained to the pads) and b) not to ruin my lawn. Also, I've read that small puppies can pee up to 70 times a day (was this an exaggeration??) and after every activity (eating, napping, playing, etc.) but this is not so for Brody. He poops twice per day, almost like clockwork (once before we wake up, in his pen and the second time in the early afternoon/late morning when we go outside to play) and pees maybe five or six times a day. He has access to his food and water all day.

Long story short, it seems like right now my goal is just to make sure he is in his pen when he has to go so he has a likely chance of using the pee pad and if not at least he went on the paper. We've been doing this for about three days now and he seems to be doing really well with peeing (getting better about using the pad vs. paper and only one accident on the floor) but it seems like he's holding his second poop of the day for when we go outside to the grass or today he went in the kitchen as we were getting ready to go outside. Should I just wait him out, no matter how long it takes, so he poops *before* we go out? Or should we get the Rascal litter box with the fake grass for him? At two months old is he just too young to start really learning the concepts?

I honestly just don't want to expect too much from him and would like to make as few 'mistakes' along the way as possible - meaning I don't want to confuse him.
DanielleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!