View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
kyancer
Senior Yorkie Talker

It sounds to me like she's nervous/scared. Sebastian had a very similar problem, and although it's gotten a lot better he still barks at people/dogs from time to time.

Techniques that I tried...

Turning around and walking in the opposite direction of the stimulus until she calms down, and then walk back towards what was making her bark. If she starts barking/yelping again repeat the process. I do find that this works, but it takes a lot of repetitions and a lot of patience on your part.

Distract her with treats. Figure out how far away from the dogs/people she can be without freaking out. Then sit her down and get her to focus on you by giving her treats. Over time get her closer and closer to the dogs/people and repeat the process. The idea is that you are distracting her, but you are also getting her to associate the things that scare her, with something positive (the treats). This also works, but takes a lot of time and patience.

I know it's embarrassing when your dog is making such a public display. But, your dog is very in tune to your emotions. Embarrassment usually goes hand in hand with anxiety and frustration (from my experience). It's very important that you stay very calm no matter what she is doing. If you feel calm and relaxed she will feel that and it will transfer to her. It took me a long time to get my emotions under control in these situations, but since I've learned to stay calm he does sooooo much better!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!