View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009, 07:19 AM   #8
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Hi welcome to Yorkietalk, good for you for checking out the breeder's home and environment where puppies are raised. If it's an experienced breeder, she can be very useful in helping you with any questions you have regarding grooming, feeding, and training. We crated Joey overnight, and found that a small crate worked immediately. I would still have to place him on a pad every 3 or so hours, and in the morning first thing, I would carry him outside. During the day he was kept in a pen with a pad, and learned quickly to use that. He was only out of the pen when I could watch him completely, and we had several pads in the room so he didn't have to go far to find one. We actually had very few accidents doing it this way, but I suggest getting a gallon of Nature's Miracle and clean up any accidents, following directions. If you don't remove all the urine odor, they are compelled to return to the spot, that's why pee pads work, there is a slight urine odor in them. If the crate is too big, they will think of it as an apartment instead of a bed, and pee on one side. Some people suggest partitioning off a large crate with boxes, so there is just enough room to stand up and turn around. Best of luck!

Join today and remove this ad!