View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 05:42 AM   #9
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sferrini View Post
First I would like to thank you all for helping me with my questions, you are all so great.

Second, Miracle had her puppies at 1:30 this morning, yes I am very tired, anyway she two babies, one is a boy and I'm not sure what the other one is, I believe he is a boy also.

The littler one had a hard time latching on but seems to be doing ok, she spent A LOT of time cleaning them, not sure if that is normal or not.

Also, can I take her outside to go to the bathroom? How much food should I feed her? Should I still be giving her puppy food, eggs, cottage cheese? I did read I should continue to feed her 3 times a day. She doesn't seem to be lacating that much but again, not having done this before not sure what to look for.

Again, any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Cleaning them is very normal. What she is doing is stimulating them.

There are several thoughts about what to feed. If you are feeding a high quality dog food, some vets feel it is unnecessary to change them over to puppy food, other vets do. My girls prefer it while they are lactating.
1. Cottage, cheese, Scrambled eggs (definately as they contain the calcium that is needed and absorbed).

At times their milk doesn't come in for 24 hours, pups are getting the colostrum anyway.

I usually don't take my girls out to potty the first week, but set up a small x-pen right beside the whelping area. Wiping her feet, her breasts and private area with a baby wipes or clean warm wash cloth prior to putting her back in with the pups throughout the time she is nursing.

Don't forget to take her in for a POP shot this morning.

Good Luck, your work has just begun.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!