Thread: One or Two
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 07:52 AM   #10
Buster Bailey
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default I love having two...but...

I went to the breeder expecting to bring home one yorkie (this was my 1st time being a pet owner) and we couldn't decide on which one to bring home, so we came home with two! I am so happy that they have each other & I love them both SO MUCH...but...it is more work & money than I had planned for. They play together all the time & they also play with us. They are now 8 months old & are very well behaved pups. I will tell you that they are MUCH more work AND much more expensive than I thought they'd be (being I was just expecting 1 originally). When you train, a lot of times you have to train them separate because together it is too distracting to have both together. So it's double the walks (mine walk together most of the time but for training & some 1-1 time with them, I sometimes take them each for a separate walk), double the sit/stay/training time, but they do learn a lot from each other (the good AND the bad). Be prepared for double the start-up stuff (collars, harnesses, clothes, leashes, etc), food and vet bills (remember that they will need to be on monthly heartworm medication (starting at 6 mths I think?), frontline plus if you want to protect them rom fleas/ticks, double most things (although most of the time they only want to play with the SAME toy - we don't get 2 of all toys, but sometimes we do!). You will have to get at least one of them fixed. I would recommend getting both fixed so you don't have to worry about things, that's what we did when Buster & Bailey were 6 months old, and they stay together all the time in their play pen, crate, trave crate, etc. It is WONDERFUL having two, but I have many friends with just one dog & they are very happy as well. Make sure to have plenty of doggy play dates if you get 1 or 2 puppies! Be prepared for almost more than double the work & cost if you get two though. Good luck with your choice & new addition(s) to your family!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!