Thread: Poor Breeding
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 06:09 AM   #19
Brooklynn
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlDebra View Post
I think there is a huge difference in a 7.5 pound Yorkie and a 15 pound Yorkie. One is easily seen as slightly over standard. But it is hard for me to believe a 15 pound dog is merely a throwback to over a hundred years ago when larger dogs were bred to develop the Yorkshire terrier. I think the chances are very high that they have been breeding over-standard dogs recently (in the last 5 generations at minimum) to wind up with a 15 pounder today. To me, that would not be the best of breeding practices.

But since the dog is a rescue -- I would just say -- all the more to love. One would not breed a rescue of unknown heritage anway, so no problem.
Again, depends on the lines. I know several that have had a 5 pound female championed and championed 5 1/2 pound sire throw a 10 pound yorkie.....the 5th generation on the pedigree comes from Europe and the European lines do throw a bigger boned yorkie. It does happen trust me!
In Europe they do breed a bigger boned yorkie and then you have breeders wanting some qualities they have in their lines to produce nice dogs here in the US and YES you can have a larger yorkie and it BE good breeding practices. If you have a 15 pound yorkie it's called pet quality and you don't breed it
Donna
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!