View Single Post
Old 07-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
o0ber
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default 4 Year Old Yorkie

A friend of mine feels she doesn't have the time to care for her yorkie anymore. She and her husband both work late and she feels bad that the dog is left home alone all day (very often for over 10 hours). I agreed to try it for a few days. I just picked her up today and she is very aggressive. Every time I try to pet her she viciously bites me. Sometimes she'll let me pet her for a few seconds but she makes this mean face and then suddenly attacks.

Apparently she is very attached with the owner and only her, she even bites at the owner's husband sometimes. Does anyone have any advice? I've been given all sorts of conflicting information. Some people say to be aggressive when she behaves badly, others say to just leave it alone and let the dog get used to the new situation. It's difficult because the dog has already been brought up for several years a different way and has gotten used to a different person.

She seems to follow me around (as well as my husband) but whenever we try and go near her to pet her she gets really angry. It makes it really difficult because we can't even put her leash on and off or pick her up and down to get her out of the car. It would be one thing if her bites didn't hurt, but they do and have pierced the skin and caused bleeding. I've even tried wearing gloves and a sweater and sometimes it STILL hurt.

For now I've just been telling her "NO BITING" or "STOP" and saying "good dog" when she is behaving well, sometimes giving her a treat. But I'm really clueless so any advice would be good. I really want the dog to like me, should I be doing something or will it just take time?

She also barks and stuff, but that is the very least of my worries right now. She also didn't eat any of her food. She drank a little bit of water, but hasn't eaten. Should I do something to get her to eat or will she eventually get to it when she's hungry?

I would LOVE to be able to keep the dog, but if things stay like this it would not be possible. Even if she gets used to me eventually, what about other people? Will I be able to train her to be friendlier with strangers as well?

Last edited by o0ber; 07-04-2009 at 04:15 PM.
o0ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!