View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
Good Newton
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Emergency last night / shallow breathing

My girlfriend and I got Newton about 7 weeks ago...he is now about 15 weeks old. Yesterday, we traveled from San Diego to Utah (about 9,000 feet elevation) and he began having severe breathing problems. He was absolutely fine all day (at that elevation) until late at night when he began gagging unproductively...occasionally a foamy white substance would come out. He also began breathing very shallow/rapidly and was not at all acting like himself...wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink, kept walking (lethargically) away from us to go lie down somewhere else.

I have gained so much knowledge from the people at this site, and it occured to me that it might be hypoglycemia, so I gave him Nutrical...the problems persisted. We took him to the emergency vet at 2:00 in the morning, and they kept him overnight in an 'oxygen box', with an IV and a catheter (he is still there). They have not been able to give us a definitive diagnosis, but they think it 'might' be pneumonia, but the rapid onset of symptoms seem inconsistent with that...does anyone have any idea what might be going on with our Newton? We love him very much, and can't stand the thought of him being so scared and uncomfortable.
Good Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!