View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
YorkieMother
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
It's important to remember that there is a great deal of difference between aggressive, passive, and assertive behavior. Both aggressive and passive behavior on the dog owner's part will lead to aggressive behavior in the dog. That's why assertive behavior is important to learn. One can display appropriate assertive behavior, that is nether neither aggressive nor passive, and establishes the pet owner in the dominant role, as pack leader. Humans and dogs alike favor calm assertive behavior.
Passive behaviour of an owner is a scary thing for dogs as they have to make up the foundation of interaction between them and the world and its owners it is not about control though it is about what works and is most benifical to the dogs needs and wants and a calm self assured dog can manage this where as a dog that is shy or fearful it can be all to over whelming.

so it also depends on what a dog brings to the table in gentic temperment that will or will not work in a family of people and dogs and what in the owners eyes is or is not allowable as well.

I have a freind that has a dog that has not skills in training but he is sweet boy that he goes through doors and does not sit drives me nuts and if my girl was in that house she could not manage do to the lack of structure that her genetic make up makes her need.

You take our other female and she is a sweet girl and well soicalized and goes right along to get along and lives life well. The other make in our house needs much support and guidence as he can get to feel the same sence of go along and have fun.

JL

Last edited by YorkieMother; 07-02-2009 at 06:42 PM.
YorkieMother is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!