View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
cynsir
The 3 Musketeers
Donating Member

My Max broke both of his front legs in December. He only weighed 2 lb 9 oz. The vet put him in a casst for three weeks. When the casts were removed, not only had the breaks not healed, but he had pressure sores and gangarine. She then splinted his legs. Each week until end of March, she removed the splints, cleaned up the sores, and resplinted him. By the end of March, she told me that his legs would never heal and I would either have to have them amputated or put him to sleep. I took him to a doctor that specializes in small dogs and orthopedics. He told me that he could put pins and plates in Max's legs with no forseeable problems. First, the gangarine needed to be healed and all open sores on his legs needed to be healed. On June 1, I brought Max in to have his surgery. As the doctor was putting the last pin in his leg, he had a heart attack and they were unable to revive him.

Depending on how large your baby is, you night want to check to see if there is a orthopedic vet around and have him/her check your baby. The vet that originally took care of Max did not have much experience with broken legs in an animal as tiny as Max. The new doctor told me that if I had brought Max to him right away, he would have done the surgery right away and would have cut down on the length of time Max had to zoom around on just two legs.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!