View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 08:08 PM   #10
Ladymom
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewco View Post
5 pounds is fine. I did a lot of reading on Maltese and I have found them have health problems like liver shunt which is said to be common in those types of dogs. There was a lady on a forum that lost her Maltese to liver shunt at the age of 2 and she bought it from a reputable breeder so I have no interest in a dog that will only live to be 2. While I am on vacation, I am going to look at a Shih Tzu as well. There are a few breeders where I would like to take a look at some Yorkies too.

As for Ladymom...my cats are small and I am sure a Yorkie is no smaller than they are and my kids are great with the cats so I see a Yorkie to be no different. Especially the ones I saw that were bigger than a cat. Trust me, they are not going to hurt or kill the dog.

I am on vacation and I saw a lady walking her Yorkie and it was not as small as some I have seen. I thought they were all the same size. I would not want a
Actually, Yorkies are much more prone to liver shunts than Maltese. Yorkies are 36 times more likely to be born with a liver shunt than all other breeds combined according to a recent study done by the University of Tennessee.

Yorkies are more prone to luxating patellas than Maltese, too. They are ranked #4 in cases of luxating patellas by the OFA whereas Maltese are ranked #39.

OFA: Patellar Luxation Statistics

Whichever breed you choose, it is very important to get a puppy from a reputable breeder who carefully screens for genetic conditions before breeding. A reputable breeder should be able to show you the results of bile acids tests on the parents (screens for liver disease and shunts) and proof that both parents knees have been cleared for luxating patellas.

My comment about the age of your children was not a reflection on your children, but just a heads up that most reputable breeders won't place either Maltese or Yorkies in homes with young children.
Ladymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!