View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 06:38 PM   #8
mnewco
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by julietimothy View Post
Most Maltese is 4-7 lbs and get one that is a true 4lbs is hard. 4lbs is about the smallest I have seen. they are look about the same size as yorkies, but their body is thicker, and I have if you have them in a long coat than will weigh about a pound more becuause of hair. Most you will find will be around 5 -6 lbs Good luck. PS I have found that some breeds call their 5lbs dogs, 3.5 lbs. Not sure where they get their scales but they are off.
5 pounds is fine. I did a lot of reading on Maltese and I have found them have health problems like liver shunt which is said to be common in those types of dogs. There was a lady on a forum that lost her Maltese to liver shunt at the age of 2 and she bought it from a reputable breeder so I have no interest in a dog that will only live to be 2. While I am on vacation, I am going to look at a Shih Tzu as well. There are a few breeders where I would like to take a look at some Yorkies too.

As for Ladymom...my cats are small and I am sure a Yorkie is no smaller than they are and my kids are great with the cats so I see a Yorkie to be no different. Especially the ones I saw that were bigger than a cat. Trust me, they are not going to hurt or kill the dog.

I am on vacation and I saw a lady walking her Yorkie and it was not as small as some I have seen. I thought they were all the same size. I would not want a
mnewco is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!