View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Nano View Post
We could try it. I think next time we do this, we'll just have to wake up every 2 hours to deal with his bowels. He is impressive not letting it get into his crate.
Lol, I'm actually very impressed with the little guy myself, it tells you how strong that instinctual urge is not to soil themselves. People think we teach this, but it's very wired into dogs.

I didn't even get Joey till 12 weeks and that's when we began the crate training. I don't know if dogs much younger than that can handle it. Breeders keep them in some type of pen with plenty of pads, and they actually can learn at a very young age to go on the pad and sleep in another area of the pen, but I'm not sure how much control they have over their bowels at such a young age. Joey's breeder also recommended free feeding till the age of 8 months since yorkies are prone to hypoglycemia. You might want to try this and he will develop his own schedule for eating and elimination that even suits you better. You shouldn't have to wake up every 2 hours to deal with his bowels, this would be too hard for most people.

Join today and remove this ad!