View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 06:03 AM   #8
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

I think you have to first decide on the scope of your project and then develop a mission statement. Decide what it is you want to accomplish and refine the statement to include some milestones. Then it might be good to ask yourself if there are already non-profit organizations with the same purpose/mission. I still have that idea that perhaps aligning efforts with existing groups might be the way to go.

If you still want to start your own group/organization, then maybe developing a list of all of the states along with their exiting pet sales/breeding laws and protections. Then you an decide which are most in need of revision or in some cases just getting laws in place for the first time.

I personally chose the Chloe Bill and Illinois as my project because Illinois is in dire need of laws to protect pets from unscrupulous breeders and pet stores and I grew up in Illinois, so I have a personal interest. They have a bill in the works, but it needs support. Just this month Illinois started a Joint Task Force on Breeders and Pet Stores. This is more a fact finding mission at this point but I think it will help in the passage of the Chloe Bill. The Chloe bill is one of the most comprehensive pet sales protection laws I have seen. It limits breeders to 20 unspayed/unneutered animals. I have always said that breeders should NOT be allowed to have more animals than they can keep as pets. Some may say they keep 50 breeding dogs in their home, but I think the truth is most wind up in cages and in out buildings with little companionship or nurturing. There are many other aspects of the bill that will help.

But that is just one state. There are many more that do not have adequate protection against greeders and poor pet store policies. I saw a list of states with Puppy Lemon Laws -- those laws can sometimes force breeders into better practices too. I will look for it.

If a national march is still on the proposed agenda, I would liaison with the Humane Society of the United States, and its partner, the Humane Society Legislative Fund. It is the largest animal protection group in the country and they work to change laws.

***Here is another project that I think would be of benefit to the entire country. Last year H.R. 6949, the Puppy Uniform Protection and Safety Act was co-sponsored by Representatives Sam Farr (D-CA), Jim Gerlach (R-PA), Lois Capps (D-CA), Terry Everett (R-AL), and Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) -- it got introduced late and no action taken yet. Among other things, it requires that all dogs being used in breeding be allowed out of their cage for daily exercise. It requires breeders to get a license from the USDA if they raise more than 50 dogs in a 12-month period and sell directly to the public and sets forth reasonable standards of care for commercial breeders. It is aimed at putting puppymills out of business. *** Getting this bill passed might be one of the milestones for the Mission Statement! In fact, I think I might like this better as a starting point and then work in the states as you go. Just an idea though.

Last edited by FlDebra; 06-25-2009 at 06:07 AM.
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!