View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 11:46 PM   #7
mily
Yorkie Yakker

Hello everyone
I want to state my opinion. In this is just that my opinion because I know to each his own like many here have posted. But I feel that Raw diet gets a bad wrap from vets for no reason.

"
She spoke to her vet about this and had inquired about the raw diet...Her vet does not agree with feeding raw...they just had a small dog die from pancreatitis because of eating raw"
Pancreatis can be caused by many things but the easiest to blame will be raw. There could have ben an underlying condition as well..

I was actually discussing this topic with somone close to me this week and it got me thinking. We as human beings have evolved and become more domesticated you might say but our nutritional needs have not change from when we were less evolved and undomesticated. We still needs vitamins and minerals that we get from fruit and vegatables which is same same needs the first humans on this earth had.. The same thing goes for dogs. Just because we have decided to domesticate them for thousand of years their nutritional needs have not change as when they were not domesticated. They are still carnivours and needs 80% meat, 10% bone and 5% heart in their diet to thrive.

"I was concerned when feeding my girls, wellness 95% chicken (canned)"

On the prey model diet a variety is the key. I feed chicken, beef, lamb along with bones and organs, but organs very small amount only 2 times a week. others do pork I do not. That is why I find it hard to belive pancreatic was just because of the raw.

I have a 17 week old yorkie and have fed him raw sice he was 10 weeks. I started the NV and I have switch to the prey model. There are many benefits to the raw diet. They use their teeth and jaws the way they supposed to to eat their food, dogs do not eat the way humans are design to eat. Their mouth are used different.. as a result they have cleaner teeth and no teeth problems whatsoever. His poop is very tiny because unlike process foods he takes almost all the nutrienst and has very little to waste. His poops do not smell. They have more energy and thrive. He lovessss his food,he jumps up and down for it and goes a little dance lol.
I think vets are not bad meaning on this but they are not well trained in dog nutrition that is why many times they recommed the science diet. They are not bad or bad meaning vets but not very well trained in nutrition.
"The one thing that always bothered me about raw was cross-contamination."
I have a special place for him to eat. I purchase a metal crate just for that. not to sleep but just to eat. once he is done I take it ooutside and clean it with bleach. I wipe his paws and feet. When he gets biggger and has a longer coat. I can designate just an area for him to eat and then clean it off with clorox is not that hard at least for me.
""Not to mention the uncooked bacteria that they might be ingesting"
Their systems are made to process bacteri as well. The dogs digestion starts in the stomach no the mouth like humans.

Again my commnets are my opinion are not meant to preach or to prove wrong to anyone here. But I wanted to speak because raw food do get a bad wrap from vets and without reason. Ansd many msiconceptions exist about it.
Again to each his own on this subject.

Last edited by mily; 06-24-2009 at 11:50 PM.
mily is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!