View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
Buster Bailey
Senior Yorkie Talker

I got my 2 yorkies when they were 11 weeks old. We thought that they were fighting & were very nervous. Turns out they have only been playing together though. At their initial vet visit, I asked about this, and the vet said it would stop after they have established who the "dominant" one is, but they are almost 8 months old and still play-fight every day & have fun doing so.

Here are some things to watch for in determining play versus fight, hope this helps!

If one yelps like they got hurt, the other one should stop biting on that spot - they usually start play-fighting in a different area (like "no more ear, now I'll go for the leg!"). If they continue to yelp & the other doesn't let up, then they may be fighting & you may need to intervene.

Also - I crate mine together and they do fine.

If one stops to get a drink, the other should stop as well to let the one get a drink.

If their tails are up, then they are most likely playing (if the tail is between legs & one's cowering, then you may need to step in).

Make sure NOT to punish the agressor, but rather, just coddle the one getting beat up on the most if you need to step in, because if they are trying to establish dominance, you are going to confuse the less dominant one if you punish the more dominant one of the two.

Like I mentioned, my yorkies still play-fight every day and they get quite loud when doing so, but we just let them be because they love to play so much. We keep watching for the "fighting" signs but don't see them, and the two love to "egg" each other one to come & get one another.

Also - I crate them together & they do just fine.

Last edited by Buster Bailey; 06-23-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Buster Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!