View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
capt_noonie
www.yorkierescue.com
Donating Member

You must be patient and watch your baby with a hawk eye! Uni got it within a few months, only b/c I am with her 24/7 and take her to work with me everyday. ( I own my own business) First I would put her in the tub, where she couldn't jump out. I would stay with her till she went, sometimes this meant 30 mins or more! I did this every three hours or so. That also meant when I heard her stirring around during the night (she wears a bell) I would get up and take her to the tub, even at 3 in the morning. Each time she went i would say "good pee pee" and make a big fuss and pet her.

Then we upgraded to a pee pad in a pan, and she already knew what "go pee pee" meant. She knew our schedule and before we went to work and once we came home she would be kept in the laundry/bathroom area until she went and wouldn't be let out until she did. (The key is to have a schedule for your baby to learn, and stick with it. Also, do not cave in! Do not let them have free reign of the house until they have gone!)

She also had another pee pad/pan in the upstairs master bedroom, and guest bathroom. funny thing was, once she "got it", we would come home, she would pee down stairs, then run upstairs and go poop!

Meanwhile, we would go to MIL's house on the weekends. She also knew downstairs was for peeing, and upstairs was to pooping. *We did not train her to do this. It is just a personal trait of hers!*

Uni is my first dog, and yorkies are notoriously hard to train, but I felt it was easy b/c I had nothing to compare to! They really are like children, you cannot take your eyes off them when they are that young. You will lose sleep, but it is worth it!

Good luck!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!