View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 05:15 AM   #14
Sloan
Luv Love LOVE My Boys!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawash View Post
Hey there. I am so, so sorry to hear about your little Jockey. I am also sorry I missed this thread, I haven't been on much lately.

Ranger was diagnosed with bilateral luxating patellas about two or three months ago. I was devestated. I spoke with my vet extensively, as well as doing a ton of research. I spoke with my orthopedic surgeon extensively as well, and we made the educated decision to go ahead with the surgery.

Here are my threads:

http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/yor...artbroken.html

http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/yor...er-update.html

Ranger was a grade 2/3 in his left leg I believe, and a 2 in the right. We obviously did both of them together, and I would have never done it any other way. Ranger has been a free man for about two weeks now, after eight weeks of confinement. I will not lie- the first several days were absolute hell and I questioned my decision hourly. However, each day got better and better. He handled being confined better than I ever imagined and is a happy, happy man now!

I decided to go ahead with the surgery for a couple different reasons. The number one being that Ranger is an incredibly active dog who absolutely thrives on some serious activity. I couldn't bear the thought of him being hindered in the slightest- his love for life and doing things made my decision easy. After speaking with our surgeon, he explained that the surgery and subsequent recovery does become much worse as the disease progresses. He wasn't nearly as bad as some, and was using both legs within days, with no limping. The surgeon also explained that if it is not fixed, arthritis can set in badly making the repair nearly impossible.

I am not trying to pressure you into having the surgery done, just giving you my reasons for doing so for Ranger. I would not have done the surgery for such a mild case if it was Ryder, as he is not active at all and would rather be carried outside than walk.

I think you need to look at the whole picture- if Jockey is active and thrives on activity, I think the sooner the better in his case. However, if he is a couch potato and could care less about running and playing, maybe wait.

Anyway, I am sorry this is so long. I just know it was people that have been through this that made it easier for myself and Ranger. Good luck and please keep me updated.

Thank you for your input and for sharing your experience. I am so glad that Ranger is doing well post surgery and has recovered with such good results.

My little Jockey is active to the point that he does run and play in the yard with my other yorkie and cat but not all of the time. He actually is a pretty quiet little guy. He prefers to be carried on walks and will take advantage of that if he can. He spends the majority of the day in one of his many little beds or just laying on the deck outside. Not to say that he doesn't like to romp and play because he does.....he just isn't the go-getter that my other yorkie is.

I will continue to consider all aspects as best as I can. Thanks again.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!