View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 05:43 AM   #8
TeresaM
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOY View Post
Personally I think Admin would be inviting all kinds of problems to put a maximum spending on the package. I purposely didn't choose to add up what I spent because I spent in "categories." I can tell you though that when you start comparing items totally purchased to just the cost of materials, you are forcing a major difference in the packages that can be purchasaed within a set amount. Then where will it end? Will there need to be a sales receipt to confirm what we spent?

I generally subscribe to the notion that if it "ain't" broke, don't try to fix it. Personally I did not observe anyone unhappy with their gift boxes as far as contents go. The only problem I saw was in delivery and I'd venture to guess that over 95% of those problems were not at the hands of the yorkietalk participant. There are too many factors in shipping anything anywhere for it to be an exact science. (I have literally waited over 3 weeks for a "next day" delivery newspaper from where I used to live to be delivered.) There is already a "ship by" date and if folks follow that rule, any delay after shipment is beyond their control.

Based on my observations for more years than I care to mention, the more simple you can keep a process, the more it is enjoyed. Quite frankly, it appears to me that enough rules are iin place if they are fairly implemented. For instance, I thought it was a "rule" to send the tracking number of the package. I tend to take everything literally because I worked with kids. In their world you'd better not say it's a rule if you want it to be an option.

We are adults. Personally I don't think we need to regulate the pleasure out of the experience. I would hope we all would approach it with the intent of a not-so-random act of kindness toward a fellow Yorkietalker and their pet. As I've said before, none of us are going to have our greatest fantasy or dreams realized in a box shipped from someone else...not at a maximum of $20, $50, or even $100. It's the excitement and expectation of the box you pack and send as much as it is the one you open at your address...if not more so.

Admin, I think you word it well when you place a minimum but no maximum except to say your expectation should not be above the minimum. I also think folks should honor the rule to send a tracking number if for no other reason than to provide Admin the means to reassure a recipient that they have not been forgotten.

Perhaps tighten the rules you already have in place but don't muddy the waters with even more. In my opinion, your whole process is already well thought out and fairly so. Just enforce what you're already set forth and I think you'll continue to have a group of happy campers. I don't think more rules will improve the process. You set it up well when it was first "hatched."
I totally agree with this, good post Toy! This was my first GE and I must say I am completely hooked!! I had so much fun with the whole process except for my concern that I might break a rule and be banned.

I think the rules that are in place are more then adequate and simply need to be followed/enforced.

I like the Minimum Spend - not sure how you could enforce a Maximum limit, couldn't I always just "say" I bought that $20 item for $5???

I like the idea of a Ship By Date as opposed to a Received By Date simply because it's very hard to control that which we have no control over. ie: postal companies. But if the rule of sending Admin the Routing Number and shipping info is followed, then Admin would have the info on hand to provide to anyone who had a concern about not receiving their package.

I'm sad to think we'd need a rule about 'complaining' and not having been involved in any of the other GE's I don't know if this is an ongoing problem, but if it seems to be then I agree that something should be put in the rules about it. If you have a complaint or concern I think it would be best to first take it offline to Admin. Then, if with Admins help, it can't be resolved then post something.

I love to see all the photos in the Thank You posts but agree and understand that not everyone has a digital camera available to them or are savvy enough to post pictures. I am blessed with a camera (it was a gift) and I've been able to figure out how to post pictures, but just barely. I think a Thank You post should be just that, the receivers heartfelt thanks and thoughts. If that includes photos, WONDERFUL, if not I don't think we should dictate how a person says Thank You.

I love that we do this here on YT and like I said, I am completely hooked. I will be doing the next one and have actually already started planning, scheming and shopping.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!