View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
Larryj24
Yorkie Talker

Exclamation Lexie's Thread: Pain and Collapse Unknown Reasons

Hi All,

Lexie is in great hands, but the Vet (Katonah Bedford Veterinary Center) and I are at a loss. Here is the facts:

Weight: 7lbs.
Mood: Hyper (Lots of Energy)
History:
Mange
Hospitalized numerous times for stomach problems w/bloody stool
Is on Tylan Powder 1x daily
No Children or Large pets in her immediate environment
Had 3 tick bites in the past month. (Blood Test Run for Lyme's- Negative)

Lexie is generally happy, loves to run around the yard, gets over excited when someone comes home, loves car rides, bike rides and chasing animals. She is always Alpha Dog to other dogs, Beta dog to Mommy and I.

Problem: (Sunday) After spending a few hours in the car with me we arrived at our destination. Placing Lexie on the ground, she walked over to the grass and fell over. Just laid there for a few minutes. Since it was really hot, I though that she was just lying in the cool grass in the shade. I brought her into the house while I worked. (FYI: There is always food and water in the car with us at her disposal)

Hours later, upon leaving, she would not move. I picked her up in my hands and when I put her down, she stayed in the exact position...just frozen. Eventually she SLOWLY walked to the car and got in.

Brought her to the vet, blood was taken and everything came back fine. One hour she will be herself, the next, she looks like the saddest thing you ever saw. She does not move and looks as if she can not stand up, more or even pick up her head.

Today, while she was going for a walk, she started to cry, not a yelp but a cry. Brought her to the vet and again, they can not find anything. They checked every joint and her flexibility. She didn't cry, yep or hesitate. We get back home and she has a normal bowel movement and then takes two steps and falls over. We let her rest and she gets up, walks some more and lies down.

None of us know what else to do? I am thinking of having an MRI done, but as we know, the anesthesia can be very dangerous especially to small dogs.

Given her previous problems, actions and history. I think she is predisposed for a liver shunt, but could this be a sign of that? Anyone with any clues, please feel free to post. If you have personally gone through this (not a sick pet, but this problem) please feel free to call me.

845-462-8400 EST

Thanks to All.
Larryj24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!