View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 10:20 AM   #2
chattiesmom
Donating YT 10K Club Member

I probably wean a bit differently than most. Unless mom has health problems, I allow a completely natural weaning to take place. As soon as the pups have their eyes open, I start offering ground up puppy kibble mixed with enough diluted canned goat's milk to make a thin gruel. Most of the time Mom eats the majority of the mixture, BUT it does start exposing the pups to solids and they taste it and get to learn by watching Mom.

By the time the pups are 4 to 6 weeks old they are eating 3 times a day and are nursing a bit less. By the time the pups are 8 - 9 weeks old they are eating a lot more and nursing a lot less. By this time, not only are the pups losing interest, but mom is starting to discourage nursing and is drying up.

By 12 - 14 weeks when I start evaluating them for readiness to "leave the nest", they are completely weaned, have never experienced any "weaning stress" and mom has dried up naturally.

I would like to note that if at any time Mom or pups were under any stress, I would step in and do what was necessary to insure the health of everyone.
chattiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!