View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 12:06 PM   #9
Buster Bailey
Senior Yorkie Talker

I have had a pulling issue as well. I have 2 yorkies which makes it even more interesting! My yorkies have Tuff Lock harnesses, but I don't particularly love them since they seem to turn quite a bit. I train them separate, but also together, since we go on most of our walks together. I started using the word "Back" instead of "heel" & it actually works for me. I'm still training them so they need some reminders, but here's what I do: Start walking, and if they pull like mad-dogs, I stop and say "No Pull". Once they come back by me, we start going, and if they pull again, I repeat "No Pull" - they have to come back to me on their own or we don't move. After we're walking, if they creep up & start going ahead of me, I say "Back" and stick out my leg across from me (like a sideways kick, but of course, not a kick, just very gently swing out so it bumps them if they don't go back). I'm sure I look like a crazy person, but this has been helping me. I say back, and if they don't listen, out of leg goes (the leash is sinched up at that time as well). I try the turn-around-the-other-way thing, but either I don't have the patience or it just isn't working (I'm guessing it's the first one). And, of course, when there's another dog nearby, their listening skills are non-existent so I'm still working on that too!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!