View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
Sloan
Luv Love LOVE My Boys!
Donating Member

Question Deciding on LP Surgery

I need advice and help from those of you that have had a pup go through the LP surgery. I am struggling with this decision and I would love to hear from those of you that have opted for the surgery as well as those that opted not to have the surgery and the outcomes.

My little Jockey is 15 months old and 3.6 lbs
He showed signs of skipping from the moment he arrived last July and I had no idea what to make of it. I thought it was a little puppy quirk. As I watched him grow, the side stepping became more of a skip in his back right leg when he walked quickly. I eventually had him checked by the vet and he told me what it was and that I needed to wait til he was a year old for his growth plates to close and then consider surgery.

I have taken him just last week to a surgeon that specializes in these types of surgeries and he told me that his back left leg is a stage 2 and his back right leg is a stage 3. He recommends surgery sooner than later. The cost will be $2900 for one leg or $3700 for both. He says he would do both instead of putting him through surgery twice because he believes eventually the left should be corrected as well.

I am struggling with this so much. Not just with the financial part which is a huge concern but more importantly with making this decision as to whether he really needs it. Some say that LP can correct itself in some cases and I know that if nothing is done arthritis could be in Jockey's future.

Please lend me your experiences. I would really really appreciate any insight.

Thank you. My pups mean the world to me and I only want what is absolutely best for them.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!