View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 09:11 PM   #31
dwerten
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
Oh my! I knew this was an excellent premium food but never knew it was too high in protein for Yorkies. I never associated high protein used in the EVO or any other food was I wish pet nutritionist/vet would publish easy to read/understand food lists so that the lay person could make intelligent choices. Since the food scare there seems to be a lot of confusion with nowhere to turn for DEFINITIVE answers. Pet owners thinking they are doing the best for their pet by buying premium food find out after the fact that the food they are feeding may not be right for their pet.

It would be nice to see lists of foods with the protein count, etc. listed and then noted whether or not the food would be right or wrong for a particular breed. Any vets/nutritionists ready to tackle this one. As I noted in an earlier post, My other precious yorkie was eating EVO---no problems on it------is now eating Solid Gold MMillenia. Even though it is made for sporting breeeds, it has less protein then their food made for small breeds. A company representative emaiiled me ,when I inquired about feeding MMellinia to my 5 year old yorkie, that the food would be just fine---that there really was not much difference betwen the 2 foods. Of course now Tufts said that the Iams Low Rsidue is good and both my Emma and my Zofia can eat that food from now on----a 22% protein level is noted on the bag.

I will definitely be setting up an apointment with one of the nutritionists at Tufts sometime within the next few weeks. I will have a list of questions to ask her.
sadly most vets do not know alot about nutrition and wish they did know more there are many yahoo nutrition groups that are hosted by animal nutritionists so i have learned to educate myself there - there is a good nutritionist from ucdavis that many use as ucdavis is where vets can become board certified nutritionists - not sure tufts has that but i had a client today that was very dissatisfied with ucdavis as they wanted to put her dogs on like 5 tums a day and she said no way and tossed the diet saying she wasted her money but susan davis many like and her site is Holistic Veterinarian Pet Nutritionist Holistic Pet Care and she does phone consults. YOu have to be your own doctor and your own vet in doing your homework to help out as there is no way for them to know everything about everything sadly i learned so i spend alot of time educating myself for my dogs
dwerten is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!