View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 09:10 AM   #10
Bravo916
No Longer a Member

Size is always an issue. All it takes is one wrong step and it could result in a broken leg or worse.

My dogs get along amazingly well but I do not allow them to run together. When my Dobe is running all he is concerned about is the ball or frisbee and has no concept of who or what is in the way. The Yorkies would LOVE to chase him but for their safety they are not allowed to. When we go to the park my Dobe is allowed off leash first to run and play, and the Yorkies are held in my arms. After he is tired and back on the leash its the Yorkies turn to run a muck.

At home my 3 play but the Dobe knows not to rough-house so he lays down and plays with them that way.

Additionally, my Dobe was taught as a very young pup that there is absolutely no resource guarding tolerated. I feed them together and he totally desensitized to the Yorkies periodically stealing kibble from his dish.

I recently heard that a very reputable Dobe breeder here CA refused to sell a puppy to a family that had a Yorkie out of fear for the Yorkie lol.

There are a lot of common sense rules that one needs to have in order for your house to function successfully with any large breed-small breed combination.
Bravo916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!