View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 05:31 AM   #5
Lolasmom1211
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyBellasMommy View Post
Hi everyone,

Roxy had a successful liver shunt surgery this morning. Depending on how she seems to be doing, I may be able to pick her up tomorrow.

I was wondering if anyone had any aftercare advice? What to expect/what to do to make her more comfortable/anything else I should know?

Any tips or comments would be greatly appreciated!
My Lola had her Liver Shunt repaired in March and is doing great. Be prepared when you first see her incision. It is larger and uglier that I expected. Lola was only a little over three pounds and it looked awful. It really does fade quickly - Lola's was gone in 2-3 weeks! They also had that collar on her so that she wouldn't chew her stitches, so she could barely lift her little head. As soon as we got in the car, I took the collar off and put a soft little onesie on her and she never bothered her stitches. I used a blanket to pick her up the first few days because I didn't want to hurt her sides if she was sore. She was on pain meds just for a couple of days, but didn't ever seem to be in any pain. She was also spayed at the same time and had several teeth removed. You need to keep her still for the first few days, and then for the first 2-3 weeks, no running or jumping - no going up or down stairs. This was hard for Lola because after 3 or 4 days she was ready to chase her brother and the birds because she felt so much better! She had dissolvable stitches so we didn't have to worry about that. Diet is also very important and I'm sure they will go over all of that when you pick her up. Lola was very clingy when I first brought her home and wanted to be right with me for the first few days....I think she thought someone was going to take her away from me again, Bless her heart. I'm so happy your baby is doing well - give her Yorkie hugs from all of us! ~~~Valerie, Lola & Harley
Lolasmom1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!