View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 02:43 AM   #9
dwerten
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolasmom1211 View Post
My baby girl Lola had liver shunt surgery in March of this year. We did not do the Protein C test. Her bile acid test numbers came back so high that I took her straight to Dr. Tobias at University of TN where they specialize in doing this surgery on these tiny babies. They did the Scintigraphy there and it showed a large shunt. Lola was in the hospitsl there for 2 nights and she is doing super now - no complications whatsoever. They have special, heated beds that sort of "inflate" around these little ones so they don't get chilled during surgery and their aftercare is excellent. The have grants and gifts that make the scintigraphy and surgery very affordable. I can't say enough wonderful things about out experience there. Lola is like a different dog today - so full of energy. She had no other symptoms either - only a picky eater and she was very small. Please ask questions - someone out there or on Liver_Shunt_And_MVD_Support : Liver Shunt & MVD/HMD Support
knows the answer. Good luck - sending Yorkie hugs your way!
yes join this group immediately and i would not let anyone do this surgery but dr tobias PERIOD especially if you are in california -- i would fly to tennessee and have dr tobias do all the testing and surgery

is your dog having symptoms - seizures, head pressing, spaced out after eating, vomitting, picky eater? If not having any symptoms then my belief is treat the dog not the blood work. If having symptoms then pursue further

if you are in california in los angeles and tustin dr broome does the scintigraphy - below is his website but i would not do this test unless my dog was having symptoms as i live in california and my girl had post biles of 73, 54 and 26 on low protein diet and they wanted me to do this test and i said no way as she has no symptoms and she is below 100 on post biles so i put her on low protein diet and she is still doing fine

AVMI- Portal Scintigraphy
dwerten is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!