View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 04:19 AM   #15
Lolasmom1211
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
I visited Emma this evening and was surprised at how long the incision was. poor baby----she cried all the while I was there. The liver was biopsied and the results have yet to be had. She is still on an IV for fluids.

She had to be seen by an optomologist because, unfortunately, she now has an eye ulcer again. In addition she has uveitis which is an eye inflammation. We were hoping that another eye ulcer would not have happened (as you may recall she developed one after her ultrasound). The surgeon was reminded to pay extra attention to her eyes and to lubricate them which he said he would and I assume he did. The doctor who was there this evening stated that she may have an underlying eye problem. Could it be related to the shunt? The last eye ulcer took a month to clear so I will be armed with 3 different meds for her eye when I get her home as we start another month of eye care. This poor puupy!

Tufts is doing some research on diet and I was told this evening that too high a protein is not good at all. I think that earlier the surgeon either misspoke about the higher protein level or that I misunderstood him. I am currently feeding my 5 year old yorkie girl Solid Gold MMillenia which has a protein count of 22%. Previously she was eating EVO which has a very high protein count. After she heals in a couple of months or so, Emma will need to be switched to a regular diet. I will be finding out from Tufts about what food she should be on and whether or not I should switch my other girl to the same food. I do not know whether or not the MMIllenia will be OK. It may be that I will have to sit with a Tufts nutritionist to figure it all out.

If all goes well, Emma may be discharged tomorrow evening. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks for the information about the Hills food and the baby food too! I will definitely be speaking to Tufts about that as well.

DAB
I forgot to tell you...when I picked Lola up, I was surprised at how long and ugly the incision was. When we got to the car, I cried because it looked so bad and she had that awful collar on and could barely lift her head. It made me so sad! The incision had faded within two weeks; it really was incredible how quickly she healed. She never seemed to be in any pain at all. For the first few days I did use a very soft blanket whenever I picked her up to pad her a little bit - I was afraid she would be a little sore. She was on pain meds for only about 2 days. She was also spayed while there, but she eas trying to run around and play after the first couple of days. They are amazing little babies. I'm so happy that Emma is doing so well!
Lolasmom1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!