View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 12:40 PM   #12
Lolasmom1211
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
I am leaving this afternoon to visit her. Tufts is about an hour from my home. She had a good night according to the surgeon who phoned us this morning to answer some questions I had. He says that she is perky and looks great but he wants to keep her another night. I can't believe that she will be ready to return home tomorrow night. She has "stolen" everyone's heart at the hospital.

However, I need to meet with the surgeon to talk about Emma's diet. She will remain on the IAMs Low Residue and the Metronidazole for a while while she recovers. After that he wants a "higher" protein diet ( higher than the IAMS) for her. HMMMM. I just read today that Yorkies and liver shunted dogs shouldn't have High protein in their diet only high QUALITY protein----reccomended was 18%. The IAMS she is on now has 22%. I used to feed EVO, a premium kibble, -----it did not agree with her at times and is very high in protein.

Any advice? Has anyone heard of Waltham Veterinary Diets----Low and Medium Protein. It comes dry or canned. It has an 18% protein value. it must be ordered through a vet.

Also, I just read that liver shunts may be aquired if a diet too high in protein is fed----is this true? After all these months of researching liver shunts this is the first time I have come upon this information. I would apprecite your thoughts. I definitely will ask the surgeon about this.

Thanks to everyone for your continued prayers and support. I hope all your Yorkie babies stay well.

DAB
I have the diet that Dr Tobias at UT sent home with Lola. They told me switching Lola to an apporpriate diet is the most important aspect of her care. They kept her on Hills LD canned and Royal Canin Hepatic 14 dry kibble -they told me to crush the kibble because it would be too large for her little mouth. They told me there were a few things I could add to make it better - Gerber vegetable baby food (sweet potatoe, green bean, baby carrots, mixed veggies) or 1 teaspoon of plain yogurt. For treats - Cheerios, rice cakes, raw green beans, raw baby carrots. This was directly from her post op sheet. She will eat the Hills LD if I blend it with water in the food processor and make it the consistancy of baby food. I leave the kibble out at all times and she will eat that occasionally, too. I'm glad you are getting to visit her. ~~~Valerie
Lolasmom1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!