View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 11:58 AM   #9
DAB
Senior Yorkie Talker

I am leaving this afternoon to visit her. Tufts is about an hour from my home. She had a good night according to the surgeon who phoned us this morning to answer some questions I had. He says that she is perky and looks great but he wants to keep her another night. I can't believe that she will be ready to return home tomorrow night. She has "stolen" everyone's heart at the hospital.

However, I need to meet with the surgeon to talk about Emma's diet. She will remain on the IAMs Low Residue and the Metronidazole for a while while she recovers. After that he wants a "higher" protein diet ( higher than the IAMS) for her. HMMMM. I just read today that Yorkies and liver shunted dogs shouldn't have High protein in their diet only high QUALITY protein----reccomended was 18%. The IAMS she is on now has 22%. I used to feed EVO, a premium kibble, -----it did not agree with her at times and is very high in protein.

Any advice? Has anyone heard of Waltham Veterinary Diets----Low and Medium Protein. It comes dry or canned. It has an 18% protein value. it must be ordered through a vet.

Also, I just read that liver shunts may be aquired if a diet too high in protein is fed----is this true? After all these months of researching liver shunts this is the first time I have come upon this information. I would apprecite your thoughts. I definitely will ask the surgeon about this.

Thanks to everyone for your continued prayers and support. I hope all your Yorkie babies stay well.

DAB
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!