View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 02:12 AM   #6
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Hi and Welcome to YT!!!

I don't think it's allegies ... wouldn't the spots be more evenly distributed? The photo is a bit light, but it looks very similar to my dog when he came down with sarcoptic mange (scabies). My vet did some research and discovered that Yorkies are predisposed to be afflicted by scabies. One very telltale sign is (put on a pair of magnifying glasses) and look at the very edge of his ears. You will see very tiny white oblong flakes. You may have to separate the hairs even if the ears are trimmed to see it. The dog may or may not be scratching his ears. Also, if you live anywhere near a wildlife crossing ie: raccoon, fox, rabbit, etc. or your dog crosses a path or rolls in leaves... he is much more apt to pick up this bug. Easy way to tell: Use Revolution for his heartworm tx this month and again in 3 weeks. It kills sarcoptic mange and other mites, and unless you have an undefined need to know exactly what it is and have the time and money and patience to put your pup through any number of tests and skin scrapings and bloodwork and time spent suffering while all this is being done, and countless medications that may or more likely may not work, Revolution will work and show marked improvement in a day. If Revolution doesn't work, then you know it's not mange or mites and you still save money on the skin scrappings, and it wasn't wasted bc it still did the heartworm thing that needs to be done anyway. I would do this first also to eliminate the need to alleviate the symptoms through diet changes, which can be very time consuming, especially if it's mange, diet changed won't work either. My neighbor's dogs came down with this...poor things ... she said they've been itching for months, and her husband had come down with scabies too! I told her what my vet said, and she called her vet (again) and he wanted to see both dogs again. I think they did do skin scrapings (again), but he said to use the Revolution anyway. Skin scrappings don't always show anything ... you have to scrape exactly where the noseeums are, and as they migrate, and you can't see them, its easy to miss.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!