View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 09:00 PM   #9
mypreciouspups
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4doggiemama View Post
Just a bit of info that I found on the net. I've always wondered how dangerous it was. My Chipper is the one who finds the toads.

Here's a link to what happens when dog and toad meet:
Cane Toads and Dogs! And how to deal with them! As you can see by the link it is from Australia. So take it with a grain of salt.

"Toad Poisoning - Since all toads have a bad taste, dogs who mouth them slobber, spit and drool. In southern states a tropical toad (Bujo marinus) secretes a potent toxin that appears to affect the heart and circulation of dogs, bringing on death in as short a time as fifteen minutes. There are twelve species of Rufo toads worldwide.

Symptoms in dogs depend upon the toxicity of the toad and the amount of poison absorbed. Signs vary from merely slobbering to convulsions and death.

Treatment: Flush your dog's mouth out with a garden hose and attempt to induce vomiting. Be prepared to administer artificial respiration."
Dog Poison Care

"Some types of toads secrete a substance that can cause oral irritation but is not toxic. Dogs will likely salivate or foam at the mouth after tasting any toad." Some Toads are Toxic to Dogs: A Curious Dog may be Poisoned by Tasting a Toad | Suite101.com This site also lists what symptoms to look for if your think that you dog might be poisoned.
omg how scary... when in florida I let my dogs do their potty on our deck.. next year I will have the potty that has the green grass look..for I am too afraid.. especially with so many babies to worry about..anne
mypreciouspups is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!