View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
iwannalollipop2
Yorkie Yakker

Default Protein C Test Results: where do we do from here?

Here's an update if you haven't heard Lacy's story so far. She turned three in February, and last year was sort of unofficially diagnosed with a liver shunt and possible MVD due to elevated bile acids. We never knew if it was both or just MVD, but a veterinary internist advised us not to seek surgery due to Lacy's tiny four-pound stature. For a year we have managed her dietarily, and she has never once displayed any symptoms. She has been perfectly happy and healthy. Recently, we took her in for her checkup, and a new vet wanted to get some more information. They did a urinalysis and did find a moderate level of crystals. It got us thinking about all this stuff from last year all over again, and got us worried and pondering the surgery we had rejected because we could lose Lacy on the table, when she is living a perfectly happy and healthy life as far as she knows.

I also suggested a Protein C test, which just came back this morning. Lacy got a 55% capacity, and the normal range is 75 to 135%. Our local vets have been so kind to us, but they're a little baffled as to what they should be comparing the numbers. Lacy is in the shunt range, but is a really "low" number in the fifties, or the tens? How bad is she? I guess we'll have to look into getting the scintigraphy done next to see if surgery is an option. Anybody else know any specifics about Protein C testing and how accurate it is? I don't even know if the vet did the test right, but that's probably just wishful thinking.
iwannalollipop2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!