View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #15
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Hi. My larger rescue yorkie (2.5 year old, 11 pounds (not food: Genetics)) was a bundle when i first got her. She came from a family with young kids. I don't think they were supervised and the kids just played with her constantly. Hence, that is what she learned was expected of her.
I, on the other hand, do not want to play constantly, nor do I have the time for it. I think it's important to have limited play times: 20-30 minutes at a time 4-5 times a day for an older puppy. She would just play until she was totally out of control, and started barking and biting for attention. (probably the reason she ended up at the Humane Society)
I like to be with her, just not playing constantly. So I began holding her, and petting her gently. I don't think this was ever done with her. It was funny (and sad) she was so awkward at first. Now, she's much calmer and enjoys being held, and doing non-play activities. She cannot wait for my DH to come home from work. She follows him to the chair and climbs in his lap and sits up for a belly rub. She's fascinated with his full beard (I think she really thinks he's a big dog!) It's so cute ... she is just Ga Ga for him. But it's a gentle, quiet time for her and she really enjoys it. I never thought this would be possible when she first arrived at our home.
She still has her moments, but at least she has learned that we love her whether she is hyper, and most importantly when she is not!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!