View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 07:37 AM   #13
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
Everything sounds correct to me and it all needs attention.

Luxating patella (the kneecap issue) is very common in Yorkies and is usually considered congenital. The vet should have graded it. Then you and him could decide whether surgery is a good option or starting your pup on supplements. Grades 3 and 4 do require surgery most of the time whereas grade 2 probably does not.

The vet could have looked at the ear swab under the microscope to give an exact diagnosis but there are some meds that clear up most issues. I would get the med from the vet.

Lots of Yorkies need baby teeth pulled. It is usually done at the time of spay/neuter. If they aren't falling out, they do need to be pulled. It can lead to bad bite, pain and bacterial build up which will set your pup up for periodontal disease that will be very expensive to treat. It is best to start brushing daily now too.
Agree with all of this.

To the OP, for ears: when a vet sees a certain amount and color of ear gunk, it is quite easy for them to diagnose an infection without going further. And they may not even bother to look at it under scope bc many ear ointments treat *both* bacteria and yeast, so charging you for a smear-and-scope is sort of a moot point. The vet may have been trying to save you money there.

As for LP, you mentioned he was holding his leg in the air at times. That is a sign of pain, that's why he does it. Size of the dog and age does not determine if LP is a problem - the grade of the LP is what determines it. When LP is diagnosed, in most cases Cosequin is recommended right away and depending on the Grade - surgery.

Best of luck.

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°

Last edited by Wylie's Mom; 06-09-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!