View Single Post
Old 06-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyBellasMommy View Post
Hi all,

So Roxy went in for her ultrasound on saturday and they think that they found an external liver shunt, as well as inflamed kidneys and stones.
Unfortunately, the ultrasoundist (although a licensed veterinarian) was unable to offer me any advice in terms of surgery, severity, etc. Basically it was just like "Here's what I found... that's all I can tell you."

So now I'm wondering what the next step is. Do I talk directly with a surgeon about Roxy's results and her options? Or do I need to make an appointment with my primary vet? I have many questions that I feel are probably better suited for her vet, but when I tried to make an appointment today it seemed that they didn't think a consultation with her was all that necessary. Is it standard protocol just to deal with the surgeon now?

By the way, here is my list of questions if anyone could offer me any advice, I would appreciate it so much!

-Can dogs with liver problems still use Frontline? Heartguard?
Yes, heartworms meds should be okay only because they are necessary. Use the least amount of flea meds possible and maybe even look into natural remedies.
-Will natural balance vegetarian be a sufficient diet for her before surgery? after surgery?
Possibly. It depends on severity of the disease. I would personally go with an rx diet in this case though.
-Will she always have to be on a low protein diet?
Most likely but some vets will tell you no.
-Will she ever be able to have a bully stick again? (her favorite treat/toy)
No. Red meat produces too much ammonia (toxins) and can cause neurological symptoms. Most chews are best avoided.
-Will she have to be on lactulose forever?
What symptoms does she have?
-If she is on lactulose forever, does that mean she will have diarrhea/soft frequent stools forever? It is getting really messy around the house.
If that is happening, she is probably on the wrong dose. Her stool should be hard to pick up but formed.
-Are there any treats I can give her? Right now I have only been giving her yucky I/D canned prescription food.
Apple bits, watermelon, green beans

Thank you all for your help!
Because the u/s showed a shunt and there are stones and possibly kidney involvement, I would just go ahead and see Dr. Center at Cornell. They do this surgery all over but that doesn't mean everyone does it well or everyone knows what they are talking about, so I would just go with the expert...
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!