Thread: Hernias!!!
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Hi. Sorry to hear about your puppy. I would discuss my concerns with my vet. A lot depends on the type of hernia, as for spay sx, the older, the bigger, the better. Is your vet experienced with small dogs and/or Yorkies?

Here's a link about hernias:

Inguinal, Umbilical and Diaphragmatic Hernias in Dogs

and general Yorkie surgery info:

Yorkshire terriers are sensitive to Anesthesia (especially those weighing 4.5 pounds or less). Only use gas inhalants isoflurane or sevoflurane. They recover from it faster. You may have to request and/or insist this be done, and the vet may want to charge you more because it's more expensive. They may have an allergic reaction to anesthesia. Discuss this with your vet, so that they can be prepared. There are many breeds of dogs and vets sometimes forget which ones have which problems.

Spaying a female dog is a major abdominal surgery as opposed to a neuter, where the incision goes only skin deep. Gas inhalants iso or sevo only. Spaying and neutering dogs will prevent cancers later in life, ie prostrate, mammary tumors, and pyometra (infection of the uterus). It helps with behavioral issues also. Do some research.

Spaying and neutering used to be done when the pet was a year old. They changed this because many dogs were becoming pregnant in their first heat, and owners would forget to schedule the surgery. So to avoid many unwanted puppies, they started to do these surgeries earlier. It is okay and safer to wait until your pup is older.

Have pre-op bloodwork done. Check the liver enzymes. If they are high, cancel the surgery. The liver is what removes the anesthsia from the dog. If these enzymes are high, this could indicate a liver problem, and make recovery difficult or impossible. This problem will need to be resolved before surgery or dental treatments.

Do not combine surgeries. You don't want to keep a dog under anesthesia for too long of a time. Multiple short surgeries are safer than one long one.

Please do not assume your vet knows everything. Nothing against vets, but sometimes they get busy. If your chart has a big sticker on it the says 'anesthesia sensitivity' or allergies, it will get noticed, and special procedures for Yorkies should be followed.

Hope this helps ...

Keep us updated....

Hernias are a congenital problem ... make the breeder aware ... the parents or offspring should not be bred.

Last edited by kjc; 06-06-2009 at 12:45 PM.
kjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!