View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 04:15 AM   #7
roxies_mom
YT 1000 Club Member

With our first dog she died on her own at home. It was a long sad story of cancer and she was to start chemo the following Monday and didn't make it through the weekend. Anyway, my kids were all pretty young at the time. It was the first dog DH and I had when we got married and so the kids had always known her being there. We decided to make it special and have our own funeral for her. DH and the kids cunstructed and painted a wooden casket which we lined. It had rope handles on the sides to carry it to her resting place. The kids all made things for her to put into the box before we nailed the lid on. DH dug a hole with his tractor in the backyard under a shade tree. My Step Dad came over to help carry the box (she was a big dog) to her resting place. We lined up and walked behind them carrying the box. We said prayers and everyone just cried and cried. After it was all over we made a cross and painted it too. It still stands along with a plastic bouquet of flowers my daughter had put there.
If you have kids that's a great way to take care of a loved pet. Crying together helps allot.

The 2nd Dog we had died when my oldest was away at college and it was January so the ground was frozen solid. I was pretty emotional and we decided to have her cremated. When we went to pick her up from the vets office I was pretty surprised. I had no idea she would be in a cherry wood box with her name engraved on a gold name plate on the lid. My intention was to keep her until my oldest came home and have another family burial. It was all so beautifully done that we have just kept her in the box in the hutch. It's very discreet and no one can tell what is in the box.

The best thing to do is what's right for you and your family. Most of the time your emotions take over and guide you to your decision. As long as that doesn't break the bank I think most times it's the decision you can live with because it's what you felt in your heart at the time was best.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!