Thread: Hypoglycemia?
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
RoxyBellasMommy
Yorkie Talker

Default Hypoglycemia?

Hi all,

Roxy is 5 years old. I took her away from my mom 2 months ago because she was not being cared for. My mom fed her kibbles and bits, but most of the time just piled table food on top of it (pasta with sauce on it, meatballs, etc.).

Since I've had Roxy, she has lost 2 pounds in these last couple of months (down from 8.8 to 6.8). I switched her to wellness super5 mix which she wasn't crazy about and only picked at. I am now starting to transition to her natural balance duck and potato, which she seems to love and has been eating regularly, along with a teaspoon of yogurt a day, and treats.

Last week she was acting very strange (lethargic, hiding, sitting strangely, some diarrhea). I brought her to the vet and they said she had swollen anal glands, and prescribed her an antibiotic (metronidazole). She has since finished the antibiotic but some symptoms remain. She continues to go in her crate, the closet, behind the tv stand, and any other small spaces that she can squeeze into. I'm not sure if she is hiding because she doesn't feel well or if she just likes the small spaces? She's also very restless and will pace around the apartment, jump on the couch, then go in her crate, then walk into the kitchen, then back on the couch, etc. etc.

Today she went behind the tv stand with a toy and just sat there. I tried to get her to come out but she was unresponsive. she sat there frozen. her head started to bob and she slowly started to lay on her side. She has done this a few times in the past week where she starts to look woozy and wobbly. I rubbed some maple syrup on her gums and shes back to pacing around the apartment, picking up toys/her bully stick, dropping them, walking all over the place, etc. She won't sit still.

I guess what I'm wondering is does this sound like hypoglycemia? She is 5 years old so why would she start experiencing this now-- especially now that she is on such a better diet?
Could it be possible that her body became accustomed to all that sugar in the pasta and spaghetti sauce and now this new diet, although healthier, is making her sick? Even though it's been 2 months that she's off the table food?

She has a follow-up appointment at the vet next week but I was curious to see if anyone could answer my questions sooner. Thank you!!!
RoxyBellasMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!