View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
HarleyHOO
YT Addict

Thanks for your comments... The first time I picked up the leash we were inside the house. I had read that it's better to start in a normal surrounding. However, same thing happened. She just wouldn't move when I had the leash in my hand. So, then I decided "Okay, well maybe if I take her out to a NEW surrounding, then she'd be more willing to start walking because she would want to explore the new area." But still.... no such luck.
I too am a HUGE fan of Cesar Milan, which is what prompted me to do my research ahead of time and start implementing the rules as soon as I brought her home. As said before, I really can't complain about anything else as she usually is fine with each new thing I introduce her too. Seems to be the leash and the leash only. In fact, I even did what I've heard Cesar say and gradually introduce her to the leash. I didn't force it on her at all. I put it out on the ground with all of her favorite play toys and just let her slowly discover it by herself. Whenever I would see her go towards it to sniff or check out, I immediately would say "Good Girl" and give her a treat. She got to the point that she would continually go over to it because she knew she would get a treat. This is the same way I introduced her to everything. I let her think that she was discovering it, but never forcing her to it. After several weeks of this, is when I finally felt confident & comfortable to actually pick up the leash in my hand. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.... so do you think I should continue each day to put her on the leash and just pull her even if she refuses to walk? I'm afraid if I do it that way, she will always hate it and associate it with something negative. Just do not know what to do at this point.... also, treats do not work. She's just stubborn and refuses even her favorite treats when on the leash. Pray for me please.... LOL
HarleyHOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!