View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 04:41 AM   #1
HarleyHOO
YT Addict

Default Harley refuses to walk on the leash...just sits and whines...HELP!!

Hi, I'm new here and I've read some really good advice and encouraging messages. I only hope that someone will be able to direct some of that wisdom towards me... Here's my issue ~ Harley is 14 weeks old and she has done wonderful on almost everything I've introduced her to. She loves her crate and is usually always quiet once shes in it. She knows how to sit, stay, and I even have taught her that she has to "wait" until I step in the door and ask her to come inside before she moves. All in all, I think she's VERY intelligent. However, I think that intelligence has turned too being stubborn and wanting things her way. Specifically, the leash. I've always wanted a yorkie and finally convinced my husband to let me have one. I did A LOT of research before bringing her home and I'd like to think that I'm pretty educated when it comes to the training. Within the first 2 weeks of having her, I began putting the harness on her so she would get used to it...no problem. She runs, eats, plays, everything with it on. So then, at about 4 weeks, I attached a string to it so she could get prepared for the leash. That went fine. Okay, 6 weeks, I actually attached a leash to the harness and let her drag it around. She didn't like it at first, but eventually would forget about it and act normal. Only after she was relaxed and calm did I attempt to pick the leash up in my hand. I do this, and immediately she sits. I try calling her to me calmly and no luck. I can not even persuad her to move with treats. She just sits and whines. Several times I've actually just tried to start walking hoping that she would get the idea, but I end up pulling her, which I know is NOT the right thing to do. So, I try giving her more treats, and still, she will not move. Normally, this wouldn't be such an issue as I would take a couple steps back and try at a later date. However, I'm going on vacation at the end of July and she's going to have to go with us. Which means she'll HAVE to be on a leash. It's a long ride and she'll have to get out at rest areas to use the bathroom. To be honest, I'm not even sure she'll go potty on the leash. On top of that, we're going to the mountains and I would LOVE to walk her with me so that she could explore and take all the new things in. But, if I can't get her to walk, what can I do? If worst comes to worst, I know I can keep her in her crate during the day, but I'm still not sure how she'll do on the leash when we're having to stop on the road along the way. At this point, I feel I've been patient and tried almost everything that has been suggested. I do not know what else to do. Any help or advice would be MUCH appreciated. I just want her to be happy and healthy and I KNOW that a daily walk would do that for her.

Thanks! - Harley's Mama
HarleyHOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!