View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
Shelby&Seymour
"& Seeger, too"
Donating Member

Shelby is my 5 year old little girl (YORKIE, of course! ). She was diagnosed with a partial ACL tear. This came about 1 year after she had luxating patella surgery on both knees. First I thought it may be a migrating pin and we went to her orthopedic surgeon, who confirmed (via x-rays) that her knees were still in tact and looked good.
First she needed 4-6 weeks of complete rest on the leg...... and with the exception of potty time, no walking or running or jumping. She was crated when I wasn't carrying or holding her. A partial ACL tear doesn't always need surgery..... the cartilage around the ligament will strengthen the area and "support" the ACL according to the PT that we are going to. After the rest, we started going to a animal rehabilitation center and she gets physical therapy. (She first had sessions that consisted of healing type therapies... e-stim and laser therapy.) She has now started strengthening therapy via exercises and hydro-therapy (underwater treadmill). Her leg seems to be strengthening!!!..... She barely favors it anymore.... just when she decides to run fast....... which I am trying to keep her from doing while she is still in a "healing" process. I think we have managed to avoid surgery ...... hopefully we will continue to get better and not have any relapses. Does your dog have a full tear or a partial one? Has rehabilitation been considered or is it not a possibility? That would be a question to ask........ also is there a physical rehab center with therapy for dogs in your area?
Sorry so long..... hope that things go well ....... and hope that Shelby's story helps, too!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!