View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
iwannalollipop2
Yorkie Yakker

I'm currently using the book "Home Prepared Dog and Cat Diets: The Healthful Alternative" by Donald R. Strombeck, DVM, Ph.D. It's a really great book, with diets for normal dogs, along with extensive sections for dietary management of hepatic disorders, urinary stones, and many other disorders. We brought it to the vets office and they made a dozen copies of good recipes for other clients. I could consult a nutritionist, but I don't think he would tell me anything differently from what we're already doing. She's currently on a cottage cheese/rice diet that is for liver management, and I'm thinking about switching to the urinary stone diet with the black beans and brown rice because that cuts out the dairy (and the extra calcium). What we usually do is throw some of the Royal Canin hepatic formula kibble pieces on top of the homemade, because she likes to have something crunchy. I've read that switching to wet food can increase water intake. Should we moisten the food more to get her to drink more water?
iwannalollipop2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!