View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
PhoebeK
Yorkie Talker

Confused Idunno What to do......?

A week before Memorial Day weekend my Phoebe started getting loose runny mucosy stools. She has had a lot of stomach issues in the past so I wasn't too worried. I started her on a bland diet of rice and hamburger (I don't do chicken b/c I think that bothers her). Within the next few days, she got better and I slowly re-introduced her food. A couple of days after that I gave her more and more and she was fine the week after Memorial Day. Then on Sunday, I noticed again her poo went from firm to loose and runny again. So rather then panic as I usually do I assumed that maybe it was her food and started on just the bland diet again later on that day. I also use a product from Only Natural Pet Tummy relief. It has vitamins, enzymes, and concentrated probiotics in it. It worked for her before so I have been giving her that. So for the past few days I have been feeding her just the bland diet but I tried to hold out as long as I could giving her anything so her digestive tract could have a chance to calm down. I have the luxury of working in the city that I live so I can go and check on her. Yesterday went I went home for lunch I walked in to diarrhea on the floor and she didn't even want to go outside for a little air and I tried to give her a yogurt treat but she refused it!! For Phoebe that is unheard of. I went back to work and was worrying and worrying and reading on the internet and freaking myself out. So eventually, I just went home because I was so worried and I spent the rest of the day with her. Eventually she became more active and was drinking water and pediatlite and I made her some ice cubes with little bits of yogurt treats in them and gave her a bit of rice. I called the vet and of course they said I could bring her in BUT this is where the dilemma comes in. In the past Phoebe had an upset tummy for a long time at least a couple of months and I brought her to the vet and basically they could really not do anything but take her temp (which BTW I tried to do yesterday and the look on her face was like "Umm are you frikken kidding me I don't think so!! ) And test her poop (which was done over a week ago when she was sick the first time I dropped off a sample cam back negative) and tell me to keep her on a bland diet.
So I am torn I would do anything for my girl I am making sure she is drinking and she is peeing she is definitely hungry b/c she is getting angry with me for not feeding her. However, she still has diarrhea and I keep thinking what if this is the one time that I don't bring her and there is really something wrong? So do you think I should just suck it up and bring her to the vet or keep her on the bland diet and see how she is this week? She was very active last night. She is supposed to go to doggie daycare tomorrow and I don't know if she should go or not. If I tell them to be sure she takes it easy they will, they love her and as I said she is active. The only thing that I can possibly think of may be the problem is that over the weekend she was playing with my mother’s dog, they both had bully sticks 6” (which she has on a regular basis), and I am pretty sure she swallowed half of it whole. Which she has done before if I don’t catch her but it has never made her sick like this. I have no idea of the cause. I am rambling I know but I just don’t know what to do. Am I overreacting? Under reacting. Phoebe is my first dog and that’s why I think I panic and then when I read stuff on the internet I freak myself out more. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated and that you for reading!
PhoebeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!