View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #8
addicted
IheartYorkies
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalina82 View Post
I bite back! LOL j/k

I've been working with dogs for a long time. I know their behavior and know what signs to look for. Before i went to grooming school i was a vet tech for years. I learned how to handle dogs very well in that atmosphere. The restraint is different in grooming because its you and your grooming table only. I've noticed the biggest problem with dogs biting is when you touch their feet. A lot of them hate having their nails trimmed, pads shaved, and feet trimmed. You have to learn to use your table. You can position the dogs on the tables so that they cannot reach you with their teeth. Extend the grooming arm up so that it is snug, but not choking the pet. Then move them as far back as possible on the table. You can pick up a back leg now and cut their nails without the fear that they can turn and bite you. When in this position they just can't reach you. With their front legs you want to bring the leg backward and slightly downward so your hands are out of reach. its trickier with the front legs and its more worrisome because your closer to their teeth.

Alot of the time the dog is testing you. They don't want to be groomed, but you know it needs to get done. You need to have the right attitude and give off the right vibe. If the dog knows your scared of it then he's gonna give you more trouble. WHen you pick up a leg and they try to bite and pull it away, you cannot let go. If you let go, they win and it only empowers them more. Hold onto their leg and talk to them. THey will calm down after a few seconds and then you can praise and continue. Sometimes when cutting nails, i'll clip one nail, then give the dog a little pat on the side to let them know its ok.

Also, do you have a groomers helper? Groomers Helper, Pet Handling & Safety System this is the tool that was on every table at my school Groomers Helper - Starter Set - $99.95 : Groomers Helper, Pet Handling & Safety System it really helps when learning because its an added safety measure to ensure the dog isn't going to turn around and bite you.

You can have all the tools in the world to help you, but if you are scared, nervous, or unsure the dog will pick up on it and make it harder for you to groom. You need a calm and assertive attitude (thanks caesar, LOL). Be calm and do what you need to do. WHen the dog sees that its going to get done whether he likes it or not, they will usually begin to cooperate.

Good luck with the rest of school.
Thanks for the advice. Well, I've been around dogs all my life. I have groomed all kinds of small breeds before going to school. I know I give off a good vibe. We have been taught how to use the groomer's helper and stuff. I just try to avoid being bitten at all cost that's all. My classmates have been bitten so many times before that's why I get scared. I have been lucky. The dogs that have came in so far has been really resistant with grooming, that's why I know to avoid getting bitten. I am very stern with the dogs, but since seeing my classmates get bitten makes me nervous. Thanks for your help!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!