View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 06:21 AM   #2
BLowry
My furkids
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoebeK View Post
Hi everyone. Phoebe is a picky eater (which I am sure some of you may be able to relate to .) I feed her dry food Solid Gold Wee Bits and she likes that alright but it needs to be mixed with something. A while back I was feeding her Merrick and she got very very sick. I am not sure if it was from the richness of that food or chicken bothered her. I tried many other foods and she was just all set with them. The only thing that she will eat now is her dry food with "Mixables" it is made to put on top of dry food and it has worked great for months poops have been solid. It's not the best food but at least it is a tier up or so from grocery store brands. Then all of a sudden a couple of weeks ago she started again with the very loose mucosy stools. To be on the safe side I took a sample to her vet and it came back negative. Plus she was acting fine. Playing, active drinking water. We ended up going away for the memorial day week-end and took her with us and fed her a bland diet of hamburger and rice and she got back to normal. I kept her on it for another few days and then slowley introduced the food back. She was fine. Now all of a sudden again she is having loose stools and she puked this morning (although the puking could have been caused by her being a CRAZY and barking at a passing dog and jumping all around.) Again though she is acting fine.
This is my main question: Although she has been doing well on the mixables I am wondering if somehow she is now being bothered by it and also I would like to feed her a better quality food. The problem is all of the canned food out there is HUGE cans and I would be mixing it with dry food and it will go to waste. I have searched the internet and I cannot find a good quality food that I feel would be safe with her tummy that is in a small can. DOes anyone have any suggestions? I figure there has to be something because not everyone has a huge dog that will go though a can of 13oz food before it goes bad. I am getting frustrated that I cannot find a 3oz or 5 oz can of food for dogs . Thanks in Advance for anyone that can suggest something! Thanks Bonnie & Phoebe
Good Morning!
I have 2 furgirls....one is very picky...I was feeding them Canidae dry and canned until they changed the formula and my smallest girl got sick....just like you were explaining. AND.....I found out that Canidae is manufactured in the Diamond Plant where they were having all the issues with pets getting sick...I had been mixing Merrick, grammies pot pie kibbles, with the Canidae dry...I eventually switched them over to just the Merricks. I don't care for the Merrick canned...too much gravy for the girls and caused loose stools and got their face all messy and stinky. I have just recently changed their canned over to Wellness which is mad here in Mass (I noticed you live in Mass also). I use the chicken..They do have the smaller cans but, the other day a member had posted how she will freeze small amounts and take out what she needs. I think that is a GREAT idea...this way the food doesn't go to waste...a big can will last me better than a week....I only use the canned as a topper...they eat mostly kibble....

Hope this helps you
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!