View Single Post
Old 05-31-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
Mom to Hot Rod
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Definitely get a second opinion from an ortho surgeon...one that is very versed in small dogs as well as this type of surgeries. I just went thru this with my 18 mo old. At his annual check up in Nov, his lp was at a grade 1. When I started noticing something was not right...late Feb, March, his lp had progressed to grade 3. His kneecap was not deep enough and his ligament was on the side of his bone. His affected leg was bowing/bowed. His surgery was March 31st and he is still recupertating but is so much better. I am very glad that we did this as in my case, the surgeon said there will not be an issue of arthritis. The surgeon told us that it could be possible that it will take up to 2 mos for him to "recover". All in all, the surgery was agonizing to wait to hear, then the recuperation period (6 weeks!) was very long but it is in the past now. Whew! I can say that I am glad to have done it because it means that he will not be in pain or have discomfort. Please make sure that you get a 2nd opinion from a well qualified surgeon, it will make a world of difference for your baby and you. Good luck. feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
Mom to Hot Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!