View Single Post
Old 05-31-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
jenbee
Yorkie Talker

Default luxating patella

Hi, I am new to yorkie talk and have only posted a few times so I am not sure if this should post in the health forum or if this is the right forum. Please let me know and I can repost.

I have a male yorkie who was diagnosed with a luxating patella...he does not have the grooves to hold his knee cap in place. He has had x rays and several visits to the vet and we were told that there is really nothing you can do but try to limit his movement and hopefully the cartilage can rebuild. We do try to keep him from running around...no more walks but we also want him to be able to be a dog and play especially since we have another yorkie who is full of energy all the time. We were told that since they are so small it is too risky to try and do surgery. My question is, does anyone know of alternative procedures or anything we can do to help him? This was about 2 months ago that we were told this and he now seems to be doing better but his legs (both legs are weak although the left is worse) still give out on him. Apparently it is a birth defect. He has always been a bit bowlegged in the front and we were told this is because of overcompensation because of the weak back legs. We just want to do everything we can and would like to know if anyone has had a similar diagnosis and what they did and what results they had. Thanks for feedback!
jenbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!